May 8, 2012
Honorable Mayor Matti Herrera Bower and City Commission:
For nearly twelve years I have had the honor and privilege to serve the City of Miami Beach as its city manager. Over my tenure, we have accomplished a great deal and have had significant successes for which we can all be proud. I am extremely fortunate and proud to have been able to manage and grow one of the most exciting and vibrant cities in the world – in a place I call home!
There comes a point, however, when it is time to move on and allow others a similar opportunity. After a great deal of thought and personal introspection, I have concluded that it is time to resign my position as city manager, effective May 10, 2013. I do so with a continued sense of responsibility and commitment to ensure an orderly and proper transition. I have dedicated myself to discharging my duties with professionalism, honor and integrity, and am committed to continuing to do so through this transition period.
There is still a lot of important work to be done and I am committed to completing several projects that are currently underway, specifically:
- Aggressively implementing the actions and measures I have proposed to ensure that employee misconduct and/or corruption is rooted out of this organization and our community;
- Leading our efforts during our Memorial Day Weekend 2012 major event plan;
- Developing and finalizing the operating budget and Capital Improvement Plan for FY 2012-2013;
- Completing the RFQ selection process and negotiations for the convention center expansion and enhancement project;
- Completing the RFP selection process and negotiations for the Lincoln Lane parking lots;
- Negotiating the expiring collective bargaining agreements with all five of the city’s unions, including pension reform measures.
I appreciate the opportunity and time to see these important tasks through to completion, and I look forward to working with each of you on these priorities and any other matters which may arise. I assure you that over this transition period I and this organization will continue to provide the excellent government services our community has grown to expect and deserve.
Finally, I want to thank you and the entire community for allowing me the privilege and opportunity to serve.
Jorge M. Gonzalez